The R Project for Statistical Computing is beneficial to anyone who needs a statistical analysis performed on a dataset.
The language is
- Open source so that anyone can use it.
- And can work cross-platform for any operating system in use.
- R can work with other similar packages; an example been Python, which can execute within R.
- As a result, you get the power of the statistical side of R and the wide variety of functionality of Python.
An introduction to R further
To get you started, we have introduced some fundamental functionality in this video, and give a tour around some of the screens that are visible as you work through your data analytics project. Some of the things you will see:
- Creating variables
- Addition of variables
- Writing variables to a CSV file
- We are saving variables to a txt file.
- Ensuring no headers are in the file.
- Loading data from a file and printing its contents to screen.
How we got this far
To get started and be able to write your first R program, a couple of steps as follows:
- Install R from here, the official site for the R language.
- For an excellent user interface Install R Studio
Both installs are free and well supported, easy to download, and easy to install.
Data Analytics Ireland