Estimated reading time: 2 minutes
You have been probably looking at large sets of data for a while, and projects to extract insights from them.
If you are given a set of data that is so large you may need something more!
This is where Apache Spark comes in!
So what does Apache Spark do?
It performs the following functions:
- Batch streaming of data – In large-volume organizations it allows for the data to be processed in an efficient way.
- Separately if you are looking to stream data live through say XML or JSON it will facilitate this as well.
- It allows you to write your queries in multiple languages such as Python, SQL, Scala, Java, or R.
- This is excellent as not everyone is proficient in all languages and helps to provide connectivity.
- For data analytics, if your preferred language is SQL it caters to this as well.
- If you work data science and need the ability to process large datasets, you are in luck.
- If you are working on machine learning projects it will help you build and test your model to your requirements.
What are the benefits of using Apache Spark?
- It will help you to reduce build times, increasing productivity.
- You can run individual tests or test to look at specific outcomes.
- It can be run on clusters over a few nodes or thousands of nodes.
- It is supported by a number of different packages, the links below will give you more information.
If you would like to download Apache Spark go to this link here: Download Apache Spark
There are thousands of companies using this at the moment, and it shows its popularity.
This list of companies using Apache Spark will give you a flavor.
What are the key questions to help you decide whether to implement Apache Spark in your organization or not?
- Decide on your strategy, what you want to get out of it, and where you are at in the collection and storage of data.
- Map how many people are working on data in your organization – Apache Spark helps to give a unified development platform to work on.
- What is the urgency – do you need to roll out a system quickly and with ease? Because it supports many different programming languages, the different skills will be catered for.
- Do you have a requirement for batch and or real-time processing? If the answer is yes then it will help you deliver those requirements.
- What is your computing capacity? If low computing capacity then you should be looking at alternatives.